News forum

Frequently Asked Questions – Resit fees - Updated 6th July 2018

Picture of Student and Programme Centre
Frequently Asked Questions – Resit fees - Updated 6th July 2018
by Student and Programme Centre - Friday, 6 July 2018, 12:04 PM

Frequently Asked Questions – Resit fees

Why has WGU started charging for resits/reassessments?

The University's Fee regulations have contained the option to charge for reassessment for a number of years, as there is an additional administrative and academic workload associated with setting and marking further assessment attempts, and most UK universities already charge a fee towards these additional costs. Prior to this year the University had not implemented this option, (except in some specific cases such as the London campus), and had covered these costs itself. This could be seen as unfair on those students who do not have to take any resits, as it diverts money that could be invested elsewhere in resources to benefit all students. The University has therefore decided that it will charge the resit fee from this year, so that this additional cost is partly covered by those students who are directly benefitting from the opportunity to take further attempts.  The fee has been clearly included in the Tuition Fee Regulations; at enrolment students are reminded to read and understand the Regulations and Terms and Conditions. Additionally all students were emailed in October 2017 and March 2018 to remind them to read the regulations.

You can find the tuition fees and terms and conditions on our website:

https://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/Feesandstudentfinance/

https://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/Howtoapply/Admissionspolicies/

When do I have to pay for resits/reassessments?

You will get a results letter after the main assessment board, usually in June/July, that will tell you if you have to do any resits/reassessments in any modules over the summer. In July, you will get a second letter telling you how much you have to pay (£75 per module, up to a maximum charge of £150 per student per assessment period), with instructions on how to pay via the WGU online shop. You need to make every attempt to pay prior to Wednesday 8th August 2018, before work is due to be submitted and resit exams take place.  If you are having difficulty paying, please see the questions below

If your assessment board and resits are at another time of year, you will get a letter after your results telling you when you have to pay; it will also be before the resit exam or re-submission of coursework.

If you are trailing credits into your following year you will have to pay the resit fee when you enrol at the start of the following year.

What if I do not/cannot pay?

If you do not pay your fee on time, you will not be prevented from taking any resit exams or submitting work for reassessment. You should still turn up for exams and submit work. We will still provide your results, and you will not be prevented from enrolling for the next year of your programme. However, this academic fee debt will remain until the end of your course, and will mean that you cannot graduate or receive any certificates until the debt has been paid in full. However, you should make every effort to pay now if you can.

How do I pay?

You will pay via the WGU online shop – you will need a credit or debit card to do this. If this is a problem for you because you do not have a payment card, you should contact our finance team for further advice:

https://store.glyndwr.ac.uk/

What if I have a deferred assessment approved?

Student with approved extenuating circumstances, approved academic appeals or technical deferrals granted, who are taking a deferred assessment, do not have to pay the resit fee.

What if I have to repeat a year?

Students who have to repeat study in modules with attendance the following year already pay a repeat year fee; this is different to the reassessment fee as it includes further tuition.  

What if I am studying part time?

The reassessment fee applies to all full time and part time students who study at the main WGU campuses or online. Students studying with a partner college/university are subject to different fee regulations and should refer to their own terms and conditions.

What if my employer usually pays my fees, or I get a bursary?

WGU will notify you directly of the fee due, and you will be individually responsible for paying the reassessment fee. You will need to negotiate yourself with any fee sponsor to see if they will reimburse you for any part of the reassessment fee.

What if I don’t take the resit or resubmit any work?

The reassessment fee is a contribution towards the additional costs of setting additional assessment tasks, as well as marking them. If you chose not to take an exam or submit a piece of work once the opportunity has been offered to you, you will still be charged the reassessment fee, as the university will already have incurred the cost of setting that assessment, gaining external examiner approval of the assessment task, scheduling the examination etc.  

If you are sure you do not want to take any reassessments and you do not wish to continue with your course, you must make sure your withdrawal form is submitted to the University before the reassessment payment is due.  Once you have been withdrawn from a programme, you cannot automatically be reinstated; you must re-apply as a new applicant.

If you have a deferral approved for the reassessment (ECs because you are unwell for example) you will not be charged for any resit/reassessment you did not undertake.