News forum

Information from Safety, Health and Environment

Picture of Stephen Clegg
Information from Safety, Health and Environment
by Stephen Clegg - Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 1:20 PM

Registering with a Doctor (GP) whilst at University

Students who are living in student accommodation and are away from home are reminded to register with a local GP whilst studying at Wrexham Glyndŵr University.  If you should become ill you will then be able to book an appointment to see a Doctor.  The NHS Wales website provides information on services nearest to where you will be living.

For minor ailments and advice you can talk to a Pharmacist or the NHS Wales website provides further information.  There is also a telephone helpline line 0845 46 47 that you can call to seek medical advice. 

Meningitis vaccinations

Young people starting university or college this autumn are being urged to get a vaccine against meningitis.  Public Health England says the jab will help protect against meningitis W in particular - a sometimes deadly strain that is on the rise.  Officials say new students are at risk as they often mix closely with groups of unfamiliar people - some who may unknowingly carry the bug.  Further information can be found or from your GP.

Accident and Emergency (A&E) Departments

The 999 service or A&E in hospitals are for life threatening medical/injury issues such as;

  • Difficulty in breathing
  • A suspected heart attack
  • Heavy blood loss
  • Serious injury
  • Severe burns


It is not to be used as a drop in centre to see a doctor if you feel unwell, be warned you will be assessed and may have a 10 hour wait if your issue is assessed none life threatening or you may be told to attend a GP surgery.


A series of blogs for students is also available offering helpful tips and answering questions on life at Wrexham Glyndŵr University.