Topic outline

  • Immigration Compliance

    Dear International Student,
    We in the Immigration Compliance team are responsible for overseeing all matters relating to the UK Visa and Immigration regulations. If you have any problems or would like to ask us a question please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing or by phoning one of the numbers listed below:


    Contact Details:


    Julie Wright

    Immigration Compliance Officer
    01978 293057


    This page is updated by the Immigration Compliance Team. If you have any questions about the content of this page or you feel additional information could be added, please let us know by emailing
  • UKVI Student Guide 2016

    This student guide has been provided to the University by the UKVI. The document includes information about replacing passports/vignettes/BRP cards from both outside and inside the UK. Please read through this document to ensure you are aware of the process you need to follow should you have any issues whilst travelling over the Christmas break.

  • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

    What is ATAS?

    Students at postgraduate level who are studying certain sensitive subjects are required to have an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate to study in the UK.

    Do I need to apply?

    Every course is assigned something called a JACS (Joint Academic Coding System) code. This is used to identify the nature and subject area of the course. A student who is not a national of the UK or the EEA who will study a course with a certain JACS code will need to apply for ATAS clearance.

    If you have any other time-limited type of immigration permission, will also need an ATAS certificate before you can start the course, if it is in one of the specific subject areas.

    For more information about which subject areas and qualifications require an ATAS certificate visit:

    When do I need to apply?

    Each time you submit a visa application to study on a course which is eligible for the scheme, you must apply for new ATAS clearance. This is required even if your course or research has not changed.

    There is no charge for applying for an ATAS certificate and there is no limit on how many applications you can submit.

    It can take between 20 to 30 working days for an ATAS certificate to be issued and sometimes longer during busy periods.

    Changes to your Course

    If you already have an ATAS certificate for your programme, and your area of research has changed or your research is taking longer than expected, you must apply for a new certificate.

    When changing your course/area of research you must ensure you receive your new ATAS certificate before the intended change begins.

    Important: You should consider the ATAS application processing time as you will need your certificate before we can give you the documents you need from us to make a visa application (which is called a CAS - Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies).

    • Dependants of Tier 4 (General) Students

      Some Tier 4 (General) students can have family with them in the UK as their dependants. To find out who counts as a dependant, check 'Who is a dependant?'

      You can have dependants with you in the UK if:

      1. You are government-sponsored and your course is longer than six months OR
      2. You are doing a postgraduate level course of 12 months or longer at a publicly-funded Higher Education Institution or a 'UK recognised body' (see 'Definitions') OR
      3. Your current or most recent immigration permission was as a Tier 4 (General) student or a pre-Tier 4 student on a course longer than six months AND all four bullet points below apply:
        • your permission is current or expired no more than three months before this immigration application AND
        • your new immigration application is for a course that is longer than six months AND
        • your dependant already has Tier 4 dependant or 'student' dependant immigration permission (or it is the most recent immigration permission that they had, and it expired no more than three months before this application) AND
        • you apply for immigration permission at the same time as your dependant

      You must already have your Tier 4 (General) immigration permission, or you must be applying for it in the same country where your dependant is making their application, at the same time as them.

      • Extending your Student Visa

        This section is applicable to Wrexham students.

        To request a CAS for a visa extension you must complete the 'Tier 4 Visa Extension request (Wrexham Students only) which can be found on§ion=4 at least one month before your visa expires. Please ensure you read the document thoroughly and provide all of the required documentation with your request.

        Please return the completed form and evidence to the Student and Programmes Centre, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing

        • Immigration Health Surcharge

          Starting on the 6th April 2015 students submitting Tier 4 Visa applications to stay in the UK for over 6 months will be required to pay a National Health Surcharge. This surcharge applies to applicants who are applying both in country and overseas. For each student the cost is £150 per year for the entirety of your visa, this fee will also need to be paid for any dependants listed on your visa.

          This is a compulsory requirement as part of a visa application to enter or remain in the UK for more than 6 months.

          More information on the National Health Surcharge can be found on:

          To calculate how much you are required to pay please visit:

          • Re-enrolment 2015/16 Pictures

            These pictures were taken at both the Wrexham and London campus during the re-enrolment events.
          • Registering with the Police

            Registering with the Police

            After your arrival in the United Kingdom some international students will be required to register with the police, this is also the case for returning students who have applied to extend their visa. Police registration should be done in person within 7 days of arriving in the UK and within 7 days of receipt of your new BRP. You will also be required to visit the police station during your studies with your Police Registration Certificate to inform them of any changes during your time in the UK.   

            More information on Police Registration can be found in the file below:

          • Regulated Immigration Advisor

            Seeking Immigration Advice

            We recommend that students only use a regulated immigration adviser.
            The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) maintains a register of regulated immigration advisers. The OISC can help you find an adviser who is registered with them, which means they must meet certain standards.
            All regulated OISC advisers display the OISC tick logo on their letter headed paper.

            • OISC advisers have official & regular training

            • Advice is regulated by the government

            Useful website links:
            To find an OISC regulated immigration adviser in your area follow this link, type in your postcode and a list will be displayed:
            Please note some advisers charge clients for advice or services so it is important to check.
            The Home Office provide advice on this topic:
            Suspended immigration advisers - You can see a list of people who are banned from acting as immigration advisers.
            • Schengen Visa

              If you are an international student in the UK on a student visa and want to travel around the European Economic Area (EEA) using only one visa, then you need to apply for a Schengen Visa. You can request supporting documentation by visiting the Student and Programmes Centre. 

              More information on the Schengen visa can be found in the document below:

            • Tier 4 Student Declaration

              Below is a Student Declaration that all Tier 4 Students were required to read and sign during the re-enrolment event.
            • Tier 4 Students - Know Your Responsibilities

              Your Tier 4 visa is a very important document which has been issued to you for the sole purpose of studying with Glyndwr University only, you cannot use this visa to apply for any other institutes.

              We want you to enjoy your studies at Glyndwr University we also need to make sure you are aware that as an international student you have a responsibility to follow UK Visas and Immigration rules.

              Please read this flyer to ensure you understand your responsibilities as a Tier 4 Student.
            • Working whilst you study

              There are strict rules about the sort of work that you can do as a Tier 4 student, and how many hours you are allowed to work. It will be stated on your visa if you can work and the amount of hours you are allowed to work per week.

              Please note that the week is defined by the Home Office as a period of 7 days beginning with a Monday. This means that during term-time Tier 4 students will be able to work a maximum of 20 hours in the 7 day period from Monday to Sunday. This is one of the changes to the Immigration Rules from 6th April 2017.

              If you are studying for a Bachelor’s degree or higher, you are generally allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time. If you are studying below Bachelor degree level, the number of hours per week that most students are allowed to work is reduced to 10 hours. During vacation periods, students are allowed to work full-time hours.

              Remember that any writing-up period (such as writing your dissertation) is considered term-time and so the working hours restrictions apply.

              Working in breach of these restrictions is a serious offence and action will be taken by the University and UK Visas & Immigration against any student who breaks the rules. Make sure you understand your working rights!

              The following link will take you to the UK Council for International Student Affairs website, for more information:

              There are certain types of work that Tier 4 students are not permitted to do, you must not:

              • be employed as a doctor in training (except on a recognised foundation programme);
              • be employed as a professional sportsperson (including a sports coach);
              • be employed as an entertainer;
              • be self-employed or engage in business activity
              • fill a full-time, permanent vacancy (except on a recognised foundation programme or as a students’ union sabbatical officer).

              Self employed means you are registered with HMRC to pay tax. Business activity means working for a business in a capacity other than an employee in which you have a financial or other significant beneficial interest. This includes:
              • setting up a business as a sole trader or under a partnership arrangement and that business is either trading or establishing a trading presence; • being employed by a company in which you hold shares of 10% or more (including where the shares are held in a trust for you); or • working for a company where you also hold a statutory role, such as a director.
              • 2015/16 International Student Event - Wrexham Campus

                This is the report from the first ever International Student 'SHOUT OUT' and Afternoon Tea event which took place on the 4th November. We will be looking at doing something similar in the London campus.
                Please also take a look at the video from the event which can be found on the link below:


                Kind regards
                Immigration Compliance Team
              • 2015/16 International Student Event - London campus

                This is the report from the first ever International Student event which took place on the 19th and 20th April in our London campus.

                Please have a read through the report and take a look at the video from the event which can be found on the link below:


                Kind regards

                Immigration Compliance Team